Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ is a highly effective cleaner which has been specifically designed and optimised for breathable waterproof footwear.
Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ is a safe product to use on breathable waterproof footwear as it does not leave water attracting (hydrophilic) residues, which lead to fabric and leather absorbing water and ‘wetting out’. Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ removes water absorbent dirt and stains picked up during use; this revitalises Durable Water Repellency (DWR) and causes water to bead on the outer surface.
Regular cleaning with Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ will revitalise existing DWR and revive breathability of your footwear, keeping your feet dry and comfortable.
Breathable waterproof footwear is most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric or leather absorbs water, the breathability of the footwear will be reduced. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) of your footwear must be maintained to ensure comfort. Through use, the outer surface of footwear will pick up contaminants, such as dirt, which attract water, masking the effect of any DWR coating. Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ will remove contaminants and revitalise DWR.
- Why you don’t need to re-waterproof every time you clean:
Regular cleaning will enhance the performance of your footwear by removing water attracting (hydrophilic) dirt and other contaminants picked up when out and about. Cleaning using Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ will revitalise the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) of your footwear, causing water to bead on the outer surface. When Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™ alone does not revitalise the DWR of your footwear it’s time to re-waterproof using the appropriate Nikwax footwear waterproofer.
Recommended for Gore-Tex®, eVENT® & SympaTex® footwear.
- Rinse item with clean water to remove loose mud and to dampen surface.
- Shake well before use. Press sponge applicator to break seal.
- Apply generously over the area to be cleaned.
- If very dirty scrub with a stiff nylon brush (e.g. nail brush).
- Rinse well with clean water.
- If required, apply appropriate Nikwax® WaterBased waterproofing or conditioner while footwear is damp.
Note: Colour may run, test on a hidden area first.
Always leave footwear to dry naturally by following these easy steps:
- Leave footwear to dry at room temperature.
- Paper can be stuffed into the toes to absorb excess moisture, this should be replaced when wet.
- Keep footwear away from fires and radiators, drying too quickly can crack leather and cause bonded soles to peel.