Footwear needs to provide support, but also needs to be soft and flexible to maintain comfort. During the manufacturing process leather undergoes a procedure called tanning. This process adds tanning agents to maintain the structure of the leather, enabling it to keep its shape and provide support. Leather is also lubricated to increase suppleness and reduce friction between its fibres. When leather absorbs water, tanning agents and lubricants are lost, which causes the leather to become dry, stiff and prone to splitting. Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ will nourish leather with tanning agents and lubricants to keep it in top condition.
- Use on New or Old Boots:
If you have new smooth leather boots, Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ can be used to break them in without over-softening and also add Durable Water Repellency (DWR). It should also be used periodically to maintain your smooth leather footwear; nourishing the leather by replacing tanning agents and lubricants, stopping it from becoming dry and stiff.
Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ can also be used to restore suppleness to dried out leather and prolong the useful life of footwear.
- How it prolongs the usable life of leather footwear:
The WaterBased formulation can be used on wet or dry leather. It is absorbed into the leather where it is needed most and will not over-soften. Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ has been specifically designed and optimised for breathable waterproof smooth leather footwear. It conditions leather by replenishing tanning agents and lubricants, and can be used to either break in new leather or revitalise dried and cracked leather. Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ also adds Durable Water Repellency (DWR) to smooth leather, maintaining breathability. It is non-flammable, contains no harmful solvents and is free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and fluorocarbons.
Use Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ to soften and waterproof new full grain leather footwear and restore suppleness to dried out leather.
Recommended for Gore-Tex® & SympaTex® footwear.
- Brush off dirt with a damp cloth and clean using Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel™.
- Shake well before use. Press sponge applicator to break seal.
- Apply to wet leather. Ensure penetration of welts and seams.
- Remove surplus and buff with a damp cloth to shine.
To waterproof nubuck and suede leather footwear use Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof™.
To waterproof fabric and leather footwear use Nikwax Fabric & Leather Proof™.
Always leave footwear to dry naturally by following these easy steps:
- Leave footwear to dry at room temperature.
- Paper can be stuffed into the toes to absorb excess moisture, this should be replaced when wet.
- Keep footwear away from fires and radiators, drying too quickly can crack leather and cause bonded soles to peel.